This list identifies various civil records which I'm using to try to sort out
Richard Thompson and his family.
- John Thomson Deed - Bertie Co., N.C. - 1739/40
- Purchase of Lot 70 in Town of Halifax by
John Thompson, June 1758
- Will of John Tomson - Halifax Co., N.C. - 1760
- The land from John Tomson's will. In the will above, John
Tomson deeded 640 acres to his sons and a friend. This record tracks the disposition of that
land over the years.
- Will of William Riddle Hurst Thompson Halifax Co., N.C. - 1770
- Lot No. 9 in Town of Halifax - Several deeds from 1772 to 1785 identify the wife
of John Thompson as Elizabeth Thompson. The deeds also refer to Peter
Thompson, but the relation is not stated.
- The Quankey Creek
property.Richard Thompson & Sarah his wife
deed land to John Gray - Halifax County, 1777.
What family is this? I have no other references to a Richard and
Sarah Thompson. I don't yet know whether this
is another Richard Thompson, or perhaps one of multiple wives of one of the other
Richards that are in the records.
The four different transactions involving this piece of property
document activity between Richard Thompson and his wife Sarah with a John Thompson and
his wife Priscilla. I'd really like to know how this John and Richard are related,
if they are.
This land was deeded to John Gray for 25 pounds proclamation money on 27
December 1777. Then on 11 October 1779, John Gray sold the same 100 acres back to Richard
Thompson for 600 pounds. That seems like an enormous difference in value unless
"proclamation" money has some special economic significance. In both transactions, the
land was described as 100 acres, joining Phillip Corlew and Watery Branch.
John Purnal land deed mentioning "Thompson, dec'd" -- 1779
Richard Head deed referring to John Thompson, dec'd. - 1783
Will of Elizabeth Thompson, wife of John Thompson.
Edgecombe County, NC. 1792
This will reveals Elizabeth's maiden name as HALL and supports the fact that
her husband John was "exiled".
If you have questions about the information you find here, or you can add to it, please
get in touch with me via e-mail at
Back to my Richard Thompson page.
- Page created: July 18, 1998
- Page updated: July 26, 1998
- Page updated: July 28, 1998 (Richard Head deed)
- Page updated: August 18, 1998 (John Purnal deed)
- Page updated: September 3, 1998 (John Thompson land history)
- Page updated: September 6, 1998 (Richard and Sarah Thompson, 1777)
- Page updated: November 25, 1998 (Elizabeth Thompson will, 1792)
- Page updated: December 31, 1998 (Richard and Sarah Thompson, 1777)
- Page updated: January 9, 1999 (Pridgeon Family information)